Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Tu-Tutorial

As I have kind of mentioned in previous posts- when I am a bridesmaid I make all of the bride's dreams come true...within reason of course! 

So, when Brittany requested that the bachelorette party have a tutu themed night for her bachelorette party I did what I could to make it happen. I let everyone know in advance so that they could purchase or make a DIY tutu. We will be wearing the tutu's the first night while we ride the bike tavern through the Savannah Pedals company. How fun is that?? When I visited Nashville last year there was a bachelorette party riding a bike tavern and the girls were dressed up in tutu's and USA attire and it looked so fun!

I was determined to make my own and also offered to make Amber's. I searched Pinterest for a while and looked at a few different pins with instructions on how to DIY, then I just kind of went for it. I bought some elastic and tulle and went at it with my sewing kit (thanks grandma!).

Here's what I did:

I used the "Sew-ology" brand of elastic from Hobby Lobby (of course). I bought the 3/4 inch, white polyester, braided elastic, but I think any kind would really work. It really just depends on how thick you want it to be and what you think would be most comfortable. I just wrapped the elastic around my waist where I had planned to wear the tutu, then secured it with a safety pin, and sewed it together.

You can also use ribbon, but I figured I would be movin' and groovin' a good bit so I wanted something a little more reliable!

I used 6 inch tulle, cut into approximately 20 inch strips. You want the length of the tulle strips to be twice the length of how long you want the skirt to be because when you tie the knot you will be folding it in half. So, if you cut 20 inch strips, your skirt will be about 10 inches long.

I used a basic slip knot to tie the tulle onto the elastic, shown here:
Fold the piece of tulle in half and hold behind the elastic.
Then fold the top part of the tulle over the elastic; leave enough room to pull the the tulle in the back through the hole
Pull the tulle from the back through the hole.
Then pull it tightly, and voila!

This is what it will look like after you start putting the tulle on!

This was a really easy project and much less expensive than buying one (plus, it turned out adorable!)- I have seen them for around $20.00 or more and I made this one for about $7.00. You really can't beat that! Another bonus was that it only took about 30 minutes to make!

Have you ever made a tutu or something similar? What worked for and what didn't?

Keep an eye out for my upcoming bachelorette party post! You will see pictures of all the lovely ladies dressed in tutu's!

No comments:

Post a Comment